Warmer weather means it’s time to bring out the boats! Whether you are a first time buyer or had your boat for years, here’s a quick check-list from Discover Boating to help you stay safe and get ready for the season.
- Inspect the fuel system for leaks or damage and be sure to pay attention to fuel hoses, connections and tank surfaces.
- Ensure the engine, exhaust and ventilation systems are all functioning properly.
- Check all electrical connections for corrosion free connections.
- Make sure your battery is charged and have it tested so you know it will keep its charge.
- Inspect propellers for dings, pitting, cracks and distortion.
- Check belts, cables and hoses to make sure they are sturdy.
- Double check all fluid levels. Be sure to change the engine oil, oil filter and drive lubricants.
- Lastly, safety gear! Have life jackets ready and in good condition for anyone on board. Be sure on board fire extinguishers are the correct class and fully charged.
These few things could save you from a serious problem and money down the road. It’s always a good idea to brush-up on your boating safety tips from the Coast Guard, too.
Most importantly, be safe, enjoy the waves and wish for great boating weather this summer!